CSIR-National Institute of Science, Technology and Development Studies, New Delhi is devoted to a study of various aspects of interaction among science, society and state and exploring continuously the interface between Science, Technology and Society. NISTADS is one of the 38 institutes/laboratories of the Government of India’s Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi.
Currently, the faculty comprises 15 members. This faculty is drawn from a variety of academic discipline. This intellectual diversity is the mainstay of the institute. Research students enrolled in the Institute obtain Ph.D. degree from different universities. NISTADS has a vibrant visiting scholars programme, under which researchers from India and abroad are encouraged to spend time at the Institute.
To act as both driver and toll for Socio-economic transformation at regional, national and
global scales with policy and decision support, S&T design and translation.
Creation of a techno-socio-economic platform to enable Sustainable Development Goals
through development and application of acceptable, relevant, and commercializable S&T
products through Policy Advocacy. Acting as a Think Tank, with Translational Research,
Inclusion of Proof of Concepts and Integration of Outreach.
1. Provide Policy Advocacy on Techno-socio-economic issues identified by CSIR/Govt.
2. Act as a Think Tank for Technology Foresight and S&T Design integrating socioeconomics
to create enabling and applicable S&T and its inclusive penetration and
provide periodic inputs.
3. Identify S&T needs for national missions and create road maps for Sustainable
- S&T Application, Assessment and Planning(STAAP)
- Future Applicable S&T(FAST)
- Socio-Economics of S&T(SEST)
- Group Dynamics and Social Engineering(GDSE)
- Frontier Innovation and Research in S&T(FIRST)
- Climate Change, Adaption, Mitigation, Sustainability(CAMS)
The Institute has core competence in:
· Science and Technology policy Research
· Dedicated to the concern and problems of developing countries
Among the diverse fields the Institute is involved in, some are:
· Rural areas
· S& T mapping
· High Technology
· Public Science and Technology
· Interdisciplinary research teams
· Multi-discipline in faculty
· Long research experience
· Field research: designing/collecting primary data
· Students, visitors network partners Indian as well as international
· Access to CSIR resources, technologies, knowledge and people
· World class IT Facility
· World-class computerized library: access to several thousands of research journals and database
We have proven our capabilities in:
· Water-resources, economics, management and life science.
· Entrepreneurship and Micro- entrepreneurship development
· Innovation-Strategy and management
· Intellectual property issues
· Knowledge management; R&D management
· Law, technology and economics
· Science policy
· Resource mapping/geography